The Township of Fairfield is an Equal Opportunity Employer. If you are interested in applying for a position you may fill out an application during business hours of 8:30AM to 4:30PM. Please check back periodically for open positions that will be listed on this page.
Fairfield Township is accepting applications for a
DEPUTY MUNICIPAL CLERK (PART-TIME)
DEFINITION and STATUTORY DUTIES: (N.J.S.A. 40A:9-133)
The Office of the Deputy Municipal Clerk has many statutory duties, (N.J.S.A. 40A:9-133) which includes acting as secretary to the governing body, chief administrative officer for all local elections, registrar of voters and the custodian of records in the absence of the Municipal Clerk. The Office Deputy Municipal Clerk, when assigned or in the absence of the Municipal Clerk also facilitates the issuance of various licenses and permits and other related duties as required.
NOTE: The examples of work, excepting statutory duties prescribed by law, for this title are for illustrative purposes only. A particular position using this title may not perform all duties listed in this job specification. Conversely, all duties performed on the job may not be listed.
In the absence of the Municipal Clerk:
- Acts as secretary to the Municipal Corporation and Custodian of the Municipal Seal and of all minutes, books, deeds contracts and archival records of the Municipal Corporation. The governing body may provide that any other specific officer shall have custody of any specific other class record.
- Acts as Secretary to the Governing Body to prepare the meeting agenda at the discretion of the governing body, be present at all meetings of the governing body, keep a journal of the proceedings of every meeting, retain the original copies of all ordinances and resolutions and records the minutes of every meeting where required. Serves as the Chief Administrative Officer in all elections held in the municipality, subject to the requirements of Title 19 of the Revised Statutes.
- Serves as Chief Registrar of voters in the municipality, subject to the requirements of Title 19 of the Revised Statutes.
- In the absence of the Municipal Clerk, serves as the Administrative Officer responsible for the acceptance of applications for licenses and permits and the issuance of licenses and permits, except where statute or municipal ordinance has delegated that responsibility to some other Municipal Officer.
- Serves as Coordinator and Records Manager responsible for implementing local archives and records retention programs as mandated pursuant to Title and Statutes including any updates and revisions thereto. Perform such other duties as are now or hereafter imposed by statute, regulation or by municipal ordinance.
LICENSE and REQUIREMENTS:
Possess current New Jersey Registered Municipal Clerk (RMC) certificate, or ability to take course studies during term. Appointees will be required to possess a driver’s license valid in New Jersey only if the operation of a vehicle, rather than employee mobility, is necessary to perform essential duties of the position.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of the State statutes relating to the duties and responsibilities of a New Jersey Municipal Clerk as well as the ability to interpret and apply relevant rules and regulations concerning the Office of the Municipal Clerk. Ability to maintain records and files as established and required by law.
- Ability to rapidly acquire and assimilate knowledge of the provisions of the Township of Fairfield Charter, ordinances, and State regulations relating to operation of the office and municipal government and ability to communicate same to office staff, other Township officials and the public.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with other Township officials, employees and the general public.
- Knowledge of office methods, practices, routines, and equipment. And the ability to learn to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and information systems used by the agency, office or related units.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written directions. As well as the ability to read, write, speak, understand, and communicate in English sufficiently to perform the duties of this position. American Sign Language or Braille may also be considered as acceptable forms of communication.
- Persons with mental or physical disabilities are eligible as long as they can perform essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation. If the accommodation cannot be made because it would cause the employer undue hardship, such persons may not be eligible.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and copies of Certifications /Licenses by February 28, 2019 to Clerk Linda Gonzales Fairfield Township P.O. Box 240 Fairton, NJ 08320. Background check will be performed. You may also email to email@example.com. Fairfield Township is an Equal Opportunity Employer.