The Fairfield Township Office of the Registrar of Vital Statistics is open Monday through Friday from 9:30 am to 3:30 pm.
The mission of the Office of Vital Statistics is to maintain a uniform system for registration and a permanent and continuous index for all birth, death, and marriage records that occur in the Township of Fairfield. This office works hand-in-hand with area hospitals, funeral homes, and the NJ State Registrar’s Office to carry out the registration process and provide a courteous and customer friendly service to the public.
- Establish a permanent public record for each birth, death, fetal death, and marriage occurring in the Township of Fairfield.
- Provide certified copies of birth, marriage, and death certificates.
FORMS & APPLICATIONS
- Marriage Application
- Application for a copy of a birth, marriage, or death certification.
TO APPLY FOR A MARRIAGE LICENSE
Apply for the marriage application in the municipality where either party resides. The license is valid throughout New Jersey. If neither applicant is a New Jersey resident, submit the application in the municipality where the marriage ceremony will be performed. In this case, the license is only valid in the issuing municipality.
*There is a 72-hour waiting period before the license is issued. The waiting period begins when the application is filed with the Local Registrar. There is no 72-hour waiting period for a remarriage; however, you must bring a certified copy of your existing marriage.
You may obtain and complete the application at the Registrar’s Office. The front page may be completed prior; however, the back page is to be completed in the presence of the Registrar during your visit.
*The bride, groom, and one witness must appear for the signing. Marriage licenses are valid for 30 days from the date of issue.
The following items must be provided:
- Photocopies of the bride’s and the groom’s driver’s licenses showing the current address. Driver’s license must reflect current legal address. One applicant must be a Fairfield Township resident with driver’s license proof of residency.
- If anyone has been previously married, the date and place of dissolution of marriage is required. A copy of the divorce decree is helpful.
- $28 application fee in the form of cash or check, payable to the Township of Fairfield.
- You must have a witness over the age of 18 who knows you personally.
*If requesting a death certificate, you must provide proof of relationship to the deceased.
That means you must provide your certified birth certificate showing parents’ names. For a grandparent you would also need your parents’ certified birth certificate showing their parents’ name. You will need your certified marriage certificate and/or original court document if your name has legally changed.
Certified copies of Birth Certificate, Death Certificate and Marriage License and Civil Union are $15.00 each.
Method of payment is cash or check payable to Fairfield Township.
Please call Erica Flores, Registrar of Vital Statistics at 856-451-9284 extension 313, to make an appointment to obtain certified copies and apply for a marriage application.